Monday, December 29, 2008

"Poor thing, she needs that perfect man to fulfill her happiness"

....or so these films make women think so....

Being back home in good ol' Riverside affords me ample time in front of the television. I practically spent the entire day watching random movies on TBS and HBO. By the time I finished the 3rd or 4th movie I felt upset!

These are the movies I watched in order:

1. Because I Said So (I liked this movie. ha)

2. Never Been Kissed

3. 27 Dresses

4. Sweetest Thing


I must admit that no one forced me to watch these movies. It was strictly voluntarily and I was definitely entertained and into these movies.

HOWEVER, after the 4th movie, I began to feel pathetic! Now let me clarify things first. No, I did not feel pathetic because I spent the entire day in front of the TV watching these movies (as a matter of fact, I cherished every moment of it!)

I felt pathetic because all these movies were about ONE THING AND ONE THING ONLY: a broken-hearted and bitter/helpless/hopeless woman who is in search of that perfect man to sweep her off her feet...and the "perfect ONE" happens to be the "guy next door" whom she doesn't initially notice.

Therefore, identifying myself as a woman and watching these women in the film made me feel pathetic! Damn. These movies are different in storyline but have the same bottom line theme.

So I started to think about movies that portray independent and empowered women that have nothing to do with men "sabotaging" their happiness. I COULDN'T THINK OF ANY! I still can't think of any. How would that look like?

Then I started to think about if the script was flipped and it was centered upon a brokenhearted man who is bitter/helpless/hopeless and is in search of the perfect woman. NOPE! COULDN'T THINK OF ANY MOVIES EITHER. How would that look like?

Anyway, this is problematic! It's problematic for both men and women. It's problematic for the men because they look like the villains and it's problematic for the women because they look like the helpless romantic victims. It makes women think that their sense of self-worth comes only with the validation of a man's attention.

( I need to be more productive with my time in River)

No comments: