Friday, November 7, 2008

The World Breathes Again


New Delhi, India


Kogelo, Kenya (Obama's Step Grandmother)


Indonesia


Manila, Philippines


The World Breathes Again

It’s amazing how emotional this election was. It’s amazing how one was able to capture the hearts and minds of the world. I know he is not the first. I know he comes after those who paved the way for him. But I know he is the first in my lifetime to move millions of people, and I am one of those millions.

I was fortunate enough (thanks to Anneli), to have been able to experience the sunrise at the Hyatt. It was an exhilarating feeling to share the moment we’ve all been waiting for all our lives: the announcement of President-elect Barack Obama. The entire room erupted with elation. It was insane! Everyone danced in pure happiness and hugged strangers. It was at that moment that nothing seemed to matter----the prejudices people had of others…..the “natural” segregation of communities based on “likeness” seemed to have disappeared at that moment, and we felt the oneness… We all just wanted to share happiness together. He sure knows how to bring a cross-section of communities together.

Unfortunately, that feeling of “oneness” and “prejudices aside” was sucked away at the discovery of the passage of Prop. 8. And to think I was naïve to believe that people would just know better by now that Prop. 8 is an outright discriminatory measure and that it would not gain enough support to pass. Unfortunately, we can’t “win it all” huh? But I guess in some way Obama’s election gave us another wind of strength and hope to fight this injustice.


I flash back to the beginning of this school year. One of the very first introductory units to World History was on democracy. I recall asking my students to write a 1-2page essay on several essential questions throughout the unit, “What is democracy? What type of government structure do you think we have? Is it working? Why or why not?”

After reading all 100+ papers, I was disheartened and angered. I was disheartened and angered because most of their responses spoke of their truth. And their truth goes something like this:

“I don’t know much about the government, but I can tell you about
my experiences here. I don’t think the government cares about us, only
the rich whites. I wish the government can help the immigrants and
understand that we are not here to cause trouble. We are here to make
life better for ourselves. I don’t think it’s fair that some of us work
really hard and we still barely make enough to pay the bills. I think
our government could be better.”



These common responses made me think: Damn, they really don’t have any faith or trust in the government. They are really jaded. They have no hope in their government. And to be honest, I don’t blame them.

Now I fast forward to Election Night. I’m standing in front of the big screen as I listen to President-Elect Obama deliver his acceptance speech. And as he opened up:

Hello, Chicago.

If there is anyone out there who still doubts that
America is a place where all things are possible, who
still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive
in our time, who still questions the power of our
democracy, tonight is your answer.



It hit me. Could this be the hope and change that my students have been longing for and screaming for in their papers? Could this be the time in which they can restore their faith in this government?

And after the acceptance speech was said and done, and as Anneli, Aylene, Marking, and I walked back to the car in the sharp crisp cold air, I felt a sense of renewal. I felt a sense of new beginnings. And I felt nothing but genuine goodness around me.

The world breathes again.
And they too smiled and cheered when Obama was announced the next President of the United States.

No comments: