Thursday, August 7, 2008

Go Metro! Go Green!





..is the catch phrase these days.

So my bestfren from PSP2005 spontaneously came up with the idea of exploring LA through the Metro (subway). Of course being the ultimate "vacationer" of all time, which my profession affords me, I was all for it!

To my surprise (as a regular automobile driver), folks actually do use the Metro! ha. (I know....I know...this bit of reaction on my end exposes how NOT of a public transpo person I am).... In my perspective, as a "first-timer," I felt like I discovered an underground culture---literally and figuratively! ha. BUT.... alas, this "underground culture" has been in existence or in use since for quite some time now (well, at least for the sublines, its been in operation since the 1990s).

It was interesting taking the subway station in LA. I was a bit fascinated throughout the entire experience for the following reasons:

1. The modernized architecture of each station, especially my starting point of Vermont & Wilshire.


2. The unique art (different types) found in each station.


3. The relatively diverse (in age, race, class), yet calm and collected community that created a warm and non-aggressive environment within the subway cars... (bc the freakin' surface streets are a whole different story!)...




4. The subway stations appear to be operating under AN HONOR SYSTEM. Not once have I been checked for a ticket, nor did we have to insert a ticket in any gate..... (So in some way, this is good for the working class folks who are using the subway lines to get around, but I wonder what $ is being used for maintenance..)


5. I felt like a tourist.




It's kind of crazy how perspectives and experiences change with the type of transpo one uses. The stops we took and the streets we walked are areas that I usually drive through....And it's crazy because as an automobile driver, I just pass right through (trying to avoid traffic, and never really take the time to look around). As a public transpo commuter on foot, the world was seen upside down. I felt more invested in the different communities I was exploring---perhaps it's because traffic was not an issue for me, and walking around afforded me to just relax and appreciate the people and the streets.



6. I want to take the metro all the way to Long Beach next time.

3 comments:

scariaga said...

i'm there with you, on that trip to LBC!

oh, and in honor of your love for the elderly (that sounds kinda awkward), have you seen this video by lykke li?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngd45o-M_M4

dope music, dope artist, dope old folks! i totally thought of you!

Chris Guitarte said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris Guitarte said...

i had an idea... but actually i think it would be the same... except with a docent leading the tour, and its free to ride!

http://www.metro.net/about_us/metroart/ma_docent.htm