Monday, August 18, 2008

Youth Rise!

So....I finally finished my submission for Illuminating Voices!

Please check it out on www.bakitwhy.com.

Title: Youth Rise!



Never underestimate the youth!

People always ask me why I teach or what inspired me to go into teaching. If only I had a whole day to explain my purpose in teaching, or deconstruct the oppressive education system the youth are in, or take people into my classroom for a day--but even then I wouldn't know where to begin. I could start off my answer with any of the following (all of which are very much true for me):

A) "Because I believe in the power of the youth."
B) "Because they speak the truth."
C) "Because I learn so much with the youth. We critically analyze the world together. And ultimately, we teach and learn as a collective."
Or.... I can simply just say:

D) "Here, watch this video. You'll be able to see, hear, and feel why I became an educator/facilitator. This is why I am inspired each day, and I hope that you too, will feel the urgency to change this society for the better."

No comments: