Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Marvin Gaye, Olympics, Nike, Dope Beat.

So my guest roommate introduced this video to me...... I was moved. The BEAT of the song is DOPE too..... Someone should sample that beat and flip it!



But while I'm on this Summer Olympics tip, I have got to watch the opening ceremony. I saw bits of it and it just seems all kinds of crazy!

Though I am an avid viewer (and have much to learn about the logistics on the various events and competitions), I must say that I can't help but think about the story behind the Olympics. I can't help but think about the hundreds and thousands of people displaced, the homes demolished, businesses terminated, etc. etc. just to "beautify" and "modernize" China in the past several years---and just to accommodate strangers from all over the world. The people of China were witnessing their own landscape changing---making them feel strangers to their own neighborhoods--communities. It's even crazier to think that the Chinese people gave up their EVERYTHING (homes, businesses, jobs,etc) for the Olympics that last for weeks, and most can't even AFFORD to attend the games themselves! Now that's some shet.

No comments: